Flues in Voids
A lot of the things we see by other so called “plumbers” are often quite amusing, but sometimes they can be dangerous.
On this occasion we found an incorrectly fitted flue. As you can see there are no support brackets and the flue has become detached. Also the flue route wasn’t fitted to manufacturers instructions. We classed this installation as immediately dangerous and capped the gas pipe to the boiler. We returned the next day and fitted a new condensing boiler, and stopped what could’ve been a very dangerous situation.
Like at this and many other properties the flue can be hidden, built-in, out of sight, or in a void such as the ceiling. In such cases it can be difficult to see whether the flue has been installed correctly, or whether it is still in good condition when the appliance is serviced.
By January 2013, if a gas engineer comes to service / fix a boiler and cannot see along the flues length, the installation will be classed as “At Risk”. The boiler should then be turned off until inspection hatches are fitted and the flue can be inspected. Up until that time a carbon monoxide alarm must be installed in whichever room or space the flue passes through. This is not an alternative to the hatches, its only a short‐term measure to help you manage the risk until inspection hatches have been installed. They are not an alternative to having access to the flue.
We at Space Heating have been informing our customers for over a year now about this regulation and the 2013 deadline.
If you have a flue that is in a void WITHOUT inspection hatches, or are unsure if the regulation affects you. Please don’t hesitate to contact us and arrange one of our qualified staff to attend.